Cinematography

Topic: Cinematography
EQ: How can a film maker best use image to spark an emotional connection with the film's audience?

Friday, January 31, 2014

January Recap

New year means new experiences and new mistakes to be done. Though it did start off well with me finishing an assignment for my mentorship, after that I haven't had much contact with my mentor. I must fix that. I applied my filming skills this month by filming a quince with a fellow senior as my business partner, though unfortunately I screwed up on a lot of my shots, jeopardizing the integrity of the final product, rendering my performance unprofessional. Although other things of that project concern me as well.
This month on ROP we finish off a semester by having the students pair up in 2s and make a music video that Mr. Miller picked out since there was an odd amount of students in the class I was paired up with one myself. the production booklet was not completed on time but we did finish the final cut of the film, turning out fairly well. I might  post it up soon.
And now we wrap up this month with our half hour presentations. I go into it with a vague idea as usual, but as always I procrastinate on this and work on the actual power point the night before finishing it at 3:30 am, the morning I was going to present. Even with 2 hours of sleep I felt confident in the morning about my presentation. I even practiced with a couple of seniors that morning with perfect timing on it. After that it didn't go as smooth. My presentation was the second one in second block. Going into class I was energetic and enthusiastic, but as first block rolled on, I felt my energy from 2 hours of sleep quickly depleting, enthusiasm with it. When the person before me finished his presentation I had to set up a whole 3 point light setup. This alone took me 20 to do, making the audience and my house teacher loose patience on my presentation. While setting up the last thing hit me, I was missing a lighting gel for my presentation that I was going to use to explain one of the key points of my answer. That's when I started to panic. Now, usually I work well under pressure but with no energy, the audience rowdy, and missing equipment, I was finished. But still I went through with it, as best as I could. In the end my house teacher seemed almost disappointed. Outside of class people told me I was good, but yet I remain skeptical.
But now the month is over, and now I truly know what my (chinese) new years resolution should be. Some of you might say that I'll just give up on it like everyone else does, but this is different for two reasons: 1. It's Chinese New Years and 2. Unlike every other year, I actually made a checklist and now have it on my binder. I'm pretty confident that can complete this or at least I can do is truly try my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment