Cinematography

Topic: Cinematography
EQ: How can a film maker best use image to spark an emotional connection with the film's audience?

Monday, January 6, 2014

Research

1. There's been a few things that I've been doing for my senior project. From the last time that we did research check I updated my notebook so that it is complete now. I've also been accumulating on pieces of research. I regrettably have not used them to update my notebook but have had them aside just in case there was a surprise research check.
Other things I have been doing for my project is racking in those mentorship and independent component hours. If you don't know already, for my independent component has me doing my own filming. Lately I've been filming for a quiescence and already have some other job offers. And both my mentorships have had me doing tasks that help me both better understand the filmmaking process on both the creative and business aspect of it.

2. Working with my mentors I've learned quite a few things. One of the most important things I've learned was when I was doing a project that had to do with more of the business end of movies, listing how successful the movies of 2013 were by searching it up on Boxofficemojo.com. Not only did I figure out how the films did in the box office but also how successful they were by comparing what they made to what the production value was. One film that I was disappointed to find out flopped was on most anticipated and based on a really good book, Ender's Game. With a production value of $110 million, the only made $87.9 million worldwide by the end of 2013. One reasoning that my mentor gave me for this is that the movie was not well promoted. That's also how bad movies somehow succeed in the box office too. An example given was the Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides.
What I basically got from this is that a really big part of the film's success is the promotion of it before and during it's release.

3. If I had to do a 10 question interview with anybody I would have it with a fantastic filmmaker/actor, Quentin Tarantino. In almost every movie he makes he has used methods to bring out the most out of his audience's emotions, whether it would be making them laugh like the in the stand off in La Louisiane scene in Inglorious bastards or strike fear like when he had Samuel L Jackson yell bible verses in Pulp Fiction. I feel like there is some knowledge to be learned from him when it comes to making a strong film.

No comments:

Post a Comment