Cinematography

Topic: Cinematography
EQ: How can a film maker best use image to spark an emotional connection with the film's audience?

Friday, February 7, 2014

Independent Component 1

I, Francisco Gonzalez, affirm that I completed my independent component which  represents 30 hours of work. The source that really helped me with this component was my mentor, Mr. Phil Miller. You can see a log of my hours here------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Basically put, what I did was continue on with my regular mentorship and learn to have a better understanding on the filming process itself, at the same time looking after some students and making copies for my mentor.
One of the things that my mentor says to me is that a good way to get better at making films is to actually get out there and make films. Luckily, there were groups of students that came out to be short staffed so he was able to put me in to work on them. The first group I was put in was a based on a true story film which I was the sound mixer and boom operator on the team. Basically I'm making sure that there is clear sound to e recorded and I record it  using a shotgun mic wired to a ZOOM. The second group was a group of me and another student to collaborate on a music video based on a song that Mr. Miller picked out. I was really able to stretch my creative muscles a bit and was able to put together a quick 2 minute video.
I don't have any footage of the based on a true story video but I did post up the music video:


This component helped me understand the foundation of my topic by making me experience, first hand. the process of how a film should be made, starting with development like when I was brain storming for a concept on the music video to post-production where I  pieced together the rough parts of my film to a final cut of the film where I then screened it for the class. 
Surprisingly though, not only did I set learn of my foundation but I actually was able to successfully demonstrate my third answer to my EQ which is "action," or more specifically the action your characters portray while acting when by the way you direct them (roughly saying). You can see his in the main guy in the music video by the way his he demonstrated his mood through his acting. I'd like to take partial credit for the directing and having good communication with him, but I think I was also just lucky to be working with a natural dramatic person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment