Cinematography

Topic: Cinematography
EQ: How can a film maker best use image to spark an emotional connection with the film's audience?

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Exit Interview


1. My essential question is “How can a filmmaker best use image to spark an emotional connection with the film’s audience?” My answers are, “through effective use of lighting,” “through camera angles and movements at specific times,” and by “directing the actors to portray a certain mood.” My best answer is “Through effective use of a lighting a filmmaker can change the atmosphere and mood of the scene bring out stronger emotions.”

2. In early august of 2014 I was discussing the matter of coming up with possible answers to my already found EQ with Phil Miller, the ROP film teacher at IPoly. He said that it comes down to a number of including camera placement, editing, subject directing. But what really stuck to me in that conversation was when he mentioned how lighting was important with changing the atmosphere in a scene. Doing further research I find how the different intensities of the shadows and colors of the light can alter the way a viewer is already thinking about the scene.

3. I feel like the only problem I had was this was not finding some proper research at first. I found a lot of research from interior lighting designs and the few I found for film they were too brief. But once I hit the advanced search engine I was able to find some psychology articles on color and some really useful videos on how placement of lighting to bring out shadows controls the trust in a scene.  

4. One of the most important sources that I have is my mentor Phil Miller for teaching me not only the importance of the simple 3 point light setup but also some advanced lighting techniques like the use of colored gels and lighting two subjects at the same time. The second most important source that I have is an article written by Jim Stinson called “Light Source:Lighting for Mood.” There I found out some key techniques and rules to keep in mind when planning and controlling the lighting of a scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment